Worldwide Recognition and Qualification
- Kukkiwon 8th Dan Degree Black Belt (#06038380)
- World Hapkido 8th Dan Degree Black Belt (#82-9535)
- Current Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) National Poomsae Head Coach
- Current USAT Poomsae Instructor
- Current USAT Sparring Instructor
- International Poomsae Referee (#011-0047)
- International Sparring Referee (#060-0014)
- International Poomsae Coach (#WTF-0067)
- Certified 1st Class International Instructor (#2614007)
- Certified Taekwondo Instructor (#076080)
- Certified World Habkido Instructor (#M82-1284)
- Certified 1st Class ExaminerCertified
- PATU Intercontinental Coach License
- Certified PATU Intercontinental New Poomsae
- Certified PATU Intercontinental Poomsae Referee
- Certified PATU Intercontinental Sparring Referee
Leadership and Education
- Platoon Leader 1st Lieutenant) in the Republic of Korea Army Special Forces (701 Special Assault Commando)
- Taekwondo Instructor in the Republic of Korea Army Special Forces (701 Special Assault Commando)
- R.O.T.C.Taekwondo Instructor at Dan Kook University
- B.A. Degree (Specialized in Taekwondo) / B.S. Degree (Management Information System)
Awards and Recognition
- Letter of Commendation from Kukkiwon
- Letter of Commendation from World Taekwondo
- Letter of Commendation from the City of Milpitas
- Recipient of the USA Taekwondo (USAT) Commission Award
- Recipient of United States Presidential Sports Award (2011)
- Recipient of United Stated Presidential Champion Award (2016)
- Tiger Claw Open Taekwondo Championship Tournament Director
- California State Referee Chairman (2013-2014)
- Best Instructor Award at the World Taekwondo President’s Cup
- Certificate of Recognition from the California Legislature Assembly
- Certificate of Recognition from the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office
- Over 40 Years of Continuous Taekwondo Training
- Over 30 Years of Teaching Experience in Taekwondo
Grand Master Kwangil Bae was born in Kwangju, South Korea. He began studying Tae Kwon Do at the age of seven. By the age of ten, he earned his 1st Dan Black Belt. He graduated from Dan Kook University in Korea with a B.A. degree in Physical Education, with an emphasis on Tae Kwon Do. While attending Dan Kook University, he was a member of the Dan Kook University Tae Kwon Do Team while participating as a ROTC Tae Kwon Do training instructor.
Upon graduation, Grand Master Bae served in the Korean Army Special Unit (equivalent to the U.S. Navy Seals and Green Berets Special Forces). During this time, he worked as a drill officer and continued to work as a Tae Kwon Do instructor simultaneously. After completing his service, he was honorably discharged in 1995, from the military as the First Lieutenant.
After immigrating to the United States, Master Bae became a resident Tae Kwon Do Instructor of the Urban Sports Cultural Center in New York City. He was also a resident Tae Kwon Do Instructor for the Unified Korean School (also in New York City). During this time Master Bae performed in numerous Tae Kwon Do demonstrations, some of which have been shown on ESPN.
Grand Master Bae emphasizes official Olympic-style Tae kwon do techniques as well as enriching student’s knowledge with history and traditional discipline of the martial arts. He also stresses the need of physical conditioning and flexibility as well as means to achieve better overall health.
Currently, Grand Master Bae teaches at Palo Alto Martial Arts as well as Elite Taekwondo Center in Cupertino. He also used his skills to contribute his work space at Novellus Systems, Inc. for the community of Palo Alto.
Grand Master Bae does not only hold the rank of 8th Dan in Tae Kwon Do and 8th Dan in Hapkido but he is also an active International Certified Referee in both Poomsae and Sparring.
Grand Master Bae, is in the work with 9th Dan Hapkido Grand Master Kim to develop this new DVD to showcase the combination of Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido in self-defense skills. Find out more about this at: www.9thdan.com